You can submit your proposal either by mail at the address provided below or via email to email@example.com. We make every effort to respond to inquiries promptly; please expect a response within twelve weeks.
Please know that each manuscript we consider seriously for publication must be evaluated by external readers and approved by the Press faculty board before it is published. To evaluate your project, we need to know more about you and your book.
- A book proposal should contain the following items: a cover letter, a short abstract of the work, a detailed description of the work, the table of contents with chapter summaries, a total word count (including notes and references), a summary of any previously published material included in the manuscript, a list of significant books in print on your topic with an explanation of what makes your book novel, an estimated delivery date for a complete manuscript, a description of any illustrations or figures you plan to include, and your current CV or résumé. Include full author contact information, including website and social media handles if available. Do not send full manuscripts unless requested by an editor.
- If you are submitting a proposal for a translation, please provide information on why the author’s work warrants translation as well as information on the audience for the work.
- If your proposal is for a revised dissertation, indicate what the nature of your revisions have been. We do not publish unrevised dissertations.
- Keep a file or a copy of your proposal materials. We do not return proposals.
- Please do not call the Press to inquire about the status of your proposal or manuscript. We review all material received, and you will be contacted when a decision has been made.
- Keep in mind that we publish approximately seventy books per year, and those seventy books must be balanced in terms of the subject areas and genres in which we publish. Out of necessity, we are very selective about which books we pursue for publication.
- We are a nonprofit publisher. If funding or a university subvention is available for your project, please indicate that in your cover letter.
Where to Send Your Manuscript
Please send your proposals via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular USPS mail to:
Northwestern University Press
629 Noyes Street
Evanston, IL 60208