The Woman's Club of Evanston

Paper Text – $24.95

ISBN 978-0-578-49487-6
Publication Date
May 2019
Page Count
248 pages
Trim Size
6 x 9
ISBN
0-578-49487-6

The Woman's Club of Evanston

A History
Erin Hvizdak with an epilogue by Kathy Rocklin

The Woman’s Club of Evanston: A History documents the Woman’s Club of Evanston. Founded in 1889 by Elizabeth Harbert, the Club set out to address community needs, in particular those of the most vulnerable, supporting organizations that deal with housing, education, and health issues of women and children. An exemplar of the women’s club movement, over the course of its long history, the Club has redirected its efforts in service and philanthropy and adjusted its organization in response to the changing needs of its community. Its clubhouse, built in 1913 to provide a center for the Club’s activities, is now on the National Register of Historic Places. The Charitable Foundation of the Woman’s Club of Evanston was established to support programs that provide a continuity of care and education and address gaps in funding for families in need. In 2010, the Harbert Society was created to recognize individuals who support the Woman’s Club of Evanston and to encourage and document planned gifts.

About the Author

Erin Hvizdak is a reference and instruction librarian at Washington State University. She earned a master of arts in women's studies and gender studies at Loyola University Chicago.

Reviews